WWYD.. bear edition

EMTDAD

NES Member
so wife shares this picture with me... friends house in Vermont.. says the occupants were watching TV and heard noise on the deck.. says it was a bear...

what would you have done? Watch the show from the window? Take selfie with Yogi? Call animal control? Shoot the thing and ask forgiveness later? S/S/SU?

At this point, I would say call a carpenter and maybe an exterminator.. there's likely a reason the bear was tearing at the walls.

1714659767700.png

Rug - yeah. Grease and meat???? You can't bury bones and fur???? It must be intact????

Honestly - I'd be trying to get rid of it first. Maybe some pepper spray from another location. Loud noise. Whatever. If that doesn't work, THEN dinner and some loob.

Another vote for scare it away.

I think we have bees in the wall of our place, just waiting for it to get warm enough for them to get active again to be sure. If I can get a bear to do the demo work and remove them which animal would I bring it to patch it up after? A beaver or something?

Another vote for scare it away.

I think we have bees in the wall of our place, just waiting for it to get warm enough for them to get active again to be sure. If I can get a bear to do the demo work and remove them which animal would I bring it to patch it up after? A beaver or something?
Don't trust the beavers, they will just want to remodel again after about a month :)

I know there are rules about shooting bears, but if one is breaking into your house or actually gets in???

My neighbor had one get into his house while he was not home. Knocked over the fridge, ate some hamburger and eggs and left. Came home to find the kitchen trashed.

And yes, there was a pie on the windowsill (really)......... :rolleyes:

Bees in the wall?

don't laugh.. happened to me in the attic.. yellow jackets.. I could hear them scratching on the ceiling.. I go up there.. walk across the joists.. lift up the insulation.. ARRGH!! got stung 7 or 8 times.. luckily that was all, and I didn't fall thru the ceiling ala Clark Griswold or Larry Bird rushing to get out of there.

so wife shares this picture with me... friends house in Vermont.. says the occupants were watching TV and heard noise on the deck.. says it was a bear...

what would you have done? Watch the show from the window? Take selfie with Yogi? Call animal control? Shoot the thing and ask forgiveness later? S/S/SU?

At this point, I would say call a carpenter and maybe an exterminator.. there's likely a reason the bear was tearing at the walls.

View attachment 877720
what to do? do a right thing - get outside, take pants off, bend over and let the bear to enjoy himself.
the way of the free, 2024 edition.

ps. the house is getting destroyed, literally, and they think, hmm, what do we do, do we wait longer or just pretend it is not happening... hmm...

The bear did them a favor exposing the fact there is no vapor barrier (or anything lol) in between the clapboard and sheathing ,which looks like it’s starting to rot. Same with the window. I bet behind the ledger board it’s a shit show. The bears the least of their problems.

Claim the bees / bugs in the wall were livestock and the bear was harassing said livestock. ;)

That looks like a kitchen window and there doesn't appear to be any bug evidence. I'm all for living and let live. I've even shoo-ed a monster ~450 lb bear away from our sliding screen door to the deck. However, one that is brazen enough to dig through the house is a problem that I would take care of. I've seen what bears can do to a building with food in it. Once they try they'll usually come back.

View attachment 877720

Selfie with the bear.
Scare the bear.

I know there are rules about shooting bears, but if one is breaking into your house or actually gets in???

My neighbor had one get into his house while he was not home. Knocked over the fridge, ate some hamburger and eggs and left. Came home to find the kitchen trashed.

And yes, there was a pie on the windowsill (really)......... :rolleyes:
Dude, bears are chill. You build in their back yard, now you have to deal with it.

This bear is a good example, all it wanted was some burgers, beer and pie.

If a bear broke in, I would give it edibles, give it a beer and see if it wants to play Mario Kart.

Dude, bears are chill. You build in their back yard, now you have to deal with it.

If a bear broke in, I would give it edibles, give it a beer and see if it wants to play Mario Kart.
You and I are hanging with the same kind of bears. I knew it!

I heard that bears kind of like cocaine, maybe give that a try :)

View attachment 877720
If it's vermont it was a black bear, I'd have banged some pots and it would have run for the hills leaving a trail of yellow behind.
I'm assuming with the sink in the window that that is their kitchen, by chance was there an exhaust vent right there? or close? Probably smelled something sweet around there and went for it.

Back
Top Bottom