American tourist facing possible 12-year prison sentence after ammo found in luggage in Turks and Caicos

You'd think after the first four, shooters would learn to do their own bag search and just throw out whatever unspent ammo they found. Toss it under the mattress, you'll be home long before that thing gets flipped over.

I don’t think you can one-up someone with someone you know.
It is not who you know that counts, it is who knows you that counts.

If your number is not in their phone, and they are not able to greet you by name if you have a chance encounter, you don't "know" them in any useful sense.

I was bashed on faceplant today for this topic. this is apparently a racist thing because I'm not bashing this guy like how everyone apparently ,me! was bashing that black girl Britney Griner. I'm like oh yea absolutely a racist thing. Britney is home smoking weed and this guy is looking at 12 years. They lost it!!

Or he can lay on the beach, enjoy some happy hour rum swizzles, attend his hearing before the magistrate and then pay a hefty fine before he leaves for home

And it turns out....not even a "heft" fine....a one year suspended sentence and gets ding'd for $6,700

What amazes me is that he is not alone --> he is 1 of 5 dumbasses who have gotten lugged for having ammo in their suitcases
1) Michael Lee Evans (7 rounds, 9mm) --> on bail, hearing in June
2) Bryan Hagerich (20 rounds, rifle) --> 1 yr suspended, fine
3) Tyler Scott Wenrich (2 rounds, 9mm) --> in the clink, has not applied for bail
4) Ryan Taylor Watson (4 round, unkn) --> on bail, hearing in June
5) Sharitta Shinese Grie (2 rounds, unkn) --> on bail, hearing in July....and blames TSA. (dindu nuff'n)

I guess Turks & Caicos must be the prfd destination for random ammo that jumps into luggage

And it turns out....not even a "heft" fine....a one year suspended sentence and gets ding'd for $6,700

What amazes me is that he is not alone --> he is 1 of 5 dumbasses who have gotten lugged for having ammo in their suitcases
3) Tyler Scott Wenrich (2 rounds, 9mm) --> in the clink, has not applied for bail
5) Sharitta Shinese Grie (2 rounds, unkn) --> on bail, hearing in July....and blames TSA. (dindu nuff'n)

I guess Turks & Caicos must be the prfd destination for random ammo that jumps into luggage

Thankfully that was the outcome for him. But it is in contravention of the mandatory minimums the law put forth.

When your island depends on tourism, and you start screwing tourists over petty and explainable mistakes.........your tourist industry will suffer. If the island government hasn't figured that out yet, they're pretty dumb.

I'll bet that the widespread release of just this one guy's case has lost those island businesses hundreds of thousands of dollars already from people who say "No Thanks" I don't want to end up in some tropical jail for some ridiculously petty issue.

When your island depends on tourism, and you start screwing tourists over petty and explainable mistakes.........your tourist industry will suffer. If the island government hasn't figured that out yet, they're pretty dumb.

I'll bet that the widespread release of just this one guy's case has lost those island businesses hundreds of thousands of dollars already from people who say "No Thanks" I don't want to end up in some tropical jail for some ridiculously petty issue.

Yup. It was an immensely stupid law to pass.

Doubt, if you asked 50 random people about this incident, none of them would know WTF we were talking about.

This guy being in jail has been a sidebar at best outside of gun social media.

ETA: there are a lot of other authoritarian shithole nations that have similar laws, although, I would hazard a guess that on the ground, many dont overreact like this.

Doubt, if you asked 50 random people about this incident, none of them would know WTF we were talking about.

This guy being in jail has been a sidebar at best outside of gun social media.

ETA: there are a lot of other authoritarian shithole nations that have similar laws, although, I would hazard a guess that on the ground, many dont overreact like this.

A HUGE percentage of Americans, if they paid any attention at all to this story, probably either thought the same exact thing I did: "Dumbasses didn't pack their bags carefully enough," or laughed and thought, "Dumbass gun nuts deserve what they get."

Either way, among the kind of people who feel like traveling to Yet Another Sunny Island, I doubt these cases moved the needle one bit.

The time doesn't make any sense. 12 years for simple possession? Um, why? How?

Prison is supposed to be about rehabilitation. 12 years is a little overkill for doing a shitty job packing your bags.
It is also about punishment and deterrence to others.

The US has cases where it's "justice be damned, sacrificing one defendant is worth it to send a message this is a rap you will not beat:".

There was a woman in FL who was convicted because she fired a warning shot at an agresson (husband, ex or something like that). Since was conficted of firing a gun in the commission of a crime, it was a 20 year mandatory. Even the judge said he wished he did not have to impose such a sentence, but was constrained by law. I think it finally got straightened out, but these are the sorts of things that happen with "mandatory sentencing".

It is also about punishment and deterrence to others.

The US has cases where it's "justice be damned, sacrificing one defendant is worth it to send a message this is a rap you will not beat:".

There was a woman in FL who was convicted because she fired a warning shot at an agresson (husband, ex or something like that). Since was conficted of firing a gun in the commission of a crime, it was a 20 year mandatory. Even the judge said he wished he did not have to impose such a sentence, but was constrained by law. I think it finally got straightened out, but these are the sorts of things that happen with "mandatory sentencing".

I get it. But the number is arbitrary and excessive.

You won't see me defending the US justice system. NY is completely out of control selectively enforcing crime and we still have our throw the key away mouth breathers beating down the doors. There's a balance somewhere in the middle.

FL has retarded punishments for a lot of crimes.

I get it. But the number is arbitrary and excessive.

You won't see me defending the US justice system. NY is completely out of control selectively enforcing crime and we still have our throw the key away mouth breathers beating down the doors. There's a balance somewhere in the middle.

FL has retarded punishments for a lot of crimes.
Part of the problem is our system is skewed towards prosecuting a bunch of garbage crimes but not railing the shit out of people who commit violent crimes or steal shit.

Part of the problem is our system is skewed towards prosecuting a bunch of garbage crimes but not railing the shit out of people who commit violent crimes or steal shit.
The article he posted mentions the FL 1999 law that requires 20 years for crimes with a fire arm. That's insane

The article he posted mentions the FL 1999 law that requires 20 years for crimes with a fire arm. That's insane
Its certifiable, a stupid warning shot that hurt nobody should be a misdemeanor at best on 1st offense if it's not justified. FL is f***ed up in that sense- she would have been better off just shooting the guy.

If I were president, I would call whatever piss pot dictator was in charge over there and ask if they wanted to become a US territory. No? Let them go and cut the shit. Don’t make me call back tomorrow.
Offering US Territory as a threat...not sure if serious

Offering them unfettered travel access to the mainland US, instantly making them U.S. citizens, the would have to pay federal taxes such as Social Security and Medicare – but not federal income tax. They would get a delegate to the House who possesses all powers of a representative besides voting rights, like the ability to debate legislation or sit on committees.

The territories also send delegates to political conventions, such as those to nominate presidential candidates. However, the territories have no electoral votes in the presidential elections...unless they travel over and vote because most places dont check ID.

AND they would be getting billions from the endless pile of federal cash to make them card carrying democrats....i.e., welfare, medical and housing

10 years for a rime with a firearms; 20 if the firearm is discharged; life (or 30?) if the discharge results in a subcutaneous ballistic aperture.

Offering US Territory as a threat...not sure if serious

Offering them unfettered travel access to the mainland US, instantly making them U.S. citizens, the would have to pay federal taxes such as Social Security and Medicare – but not federal income tax. They would get a delegate to the House who possesses all powers of a representative besides voting rights, like the ability to debate legislation or sit on committees.

The territories also send delegates to political conventions, such as those to nominate presidential candidates. However, the territories have no electoral votes in the presidential elections...unless they travel over and vote because most places dont check ID.

AND they would be getting billions from the endless pile of federal cash to make them card carrying democrats....i.e., welfare, medical and housing
Ok fine, you win.

What I meant was, unless they wish to have their government toppled, their leaders replaced, and any resistance crushed mercilessly so we can take back our citizens, they better let them go and reconsider how they treat Americans.

If they don’t like what an American does on their shitty little island, ship them home and ban them from coming back. Russia can get away with it cuz nukes, but we don’t have to take it from some grass skirt wearing decedent of cannibals.

Back
Top Bottom