What did you do in the shack today?

Dang, I tried out the power meter I bought and it's complete trash. First I tried it on the new 220 rig and it read between 1.4 and 1.8A on receive, no audio. Hmm, I could have sworn the spec was <0.6A. I looked it up, yup. Okay, maybe something is wrong with the radio. So after about an hour and a half it had "drawn" about 2Ah. I put the battery on the charger and measured how much charge it took: 0.87Ah. And it did accurately measure the 2A the charger is rated for, although it said the max current had been 11A.

This afternoon I tried it on my 857D and LDG tuner. As soon as I plugged in the tuner it jumped to 1.6A. That's more than double the rated current when it's in use; at that point it was only driving the led on the front. I turned on the radio and it read anywhere from 6.5 to 8.5A on receive, no audio. It should have been about 1A.

Don't tell Amazon but I opened it up to see if anything looked bad. The main board was soldered to the display board so I couldn't see much. But what I could see looked well soldered and professionally built.

Don't buy this trash.

I bought another cheap Chinese handheld. I now own four different brands/models.

While I would never consider replacing my Yaesu and Icom handhelds with one of these, they are fun to hack the firmware and mess with the features.

This little fellow, the TidRadio TD-H3, is the smallest form factor of any of them I have. It is 2-1/8" wide, 4" tall, and 1-3/8" deep with battery.

D8jE6mA.jpg

🐯

I have another Alinco DMR radio coming in tomorrow. Quite a few places ran a $50 off special during Dayton Hamvention, so I ordered one out of DX Engineering. This time, it is a mobile to go with my collection of Alinco DMR handhelds.

Tried to set up my inherited whistler 1060 on the cape-
Holy shit is that thing a pain in the ass to program, you need a f***in degree.

Had a scanner for years growing up, you just slipped the local frequencies in and called it a day, now it's rocket science- not even sure where to start programming the local police/fire department, canal, harbor, etc.

Tried to set up my inherited whistler 1060 on the cape-
Holy shit is that thing a pain in the ass to program, you need a f***in degree.

Had a scanner for years growing up, you just slipped the local frequencies in and called it a day, now it's rocket science- not even sure where to start programming the local police/fire department, canal, harbor, etc.
RRDB | Massachusetts Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference You will likely have to subscribe and pay their fee.

Yeah, I found them, I'm just not certain what to do with them.
Half the problem is I don't have a programming cable- apparently it's all much easier to do from a computer.
Ordered one up and it should be here saturday.

The modern memory architecture of current scanners almost demands programming from a computer in order to avoid pulling your hair out.

Built the 220, 432, 903 beams and ordered the 1296- hoping it arrives before the VHF 'test.

#notenoughtimeintheday

UJay
You sound just like my buddy. He just bought a 5 band transverter and is racing to get everything setup in time. Next up is an array of 1296 for moon bounce.

He just designed and built a controller for the transverter. There's a unit that goes on the bench with a knob and a display. Turn the knob to change bands, then you get a handshake confirmation back from the remote unit at the transverter to tell you which band you selected. No more transmitting into the wrong antenna. It's a very slick design that I really want him to sell. Everyone who buys that particular transverter will need something to do what he did.

You sound just like my buddy. He just bought a 5 band transverter and is racing to get everything setup in time. Next up is an array of 1296 for moon bounce.

He just designed and built a controller for the transverter. There's a unit that goes on the bench with a knob and a display. Turn the knob to change bands, then you get a handshake confirmation back from the remote unit at the transverter to tell you which band you selected. No more transmitting into the wrong antenna. It's a very slick design that I really want him to sell. Everyone who buys that particular transverter will need something to do what he did.
Dude sounds like me..... I have the Q5 5b transverter auto controlled so I can run the shack completely remote. Actually controlled from the rig's aux band output.

Thats why I ordered the FM filter too (On the other 'got scammed' thread) since there is a buddy of ours rovering and only has an FM HT on the High UHF bands or something.....
The K3 needs a specific filter to use the FM mode.

Awesome though, I hope to be up and running and work your buddy, you, anyone wanting points.

Cool, this sure is some kind of hobby, eh?

UJay

Haha, I'm pretty sure that's the one he just bought, maybe the high power one. He wanted it so badly but couldn't (wouldn't) justify the money. I told him if he didn't buy it I was going to buy it for him, so he bought it. I don't think he thought I was serious, but I was.

Before that he had five separate transverters, each with its own quirks, and a farm of switches to change bands. Now it's a knob twist and maybe a button press to tell the radio to change bands. He's mounting his antennas across the yard on the shed roof so he can run at night and not make rotor noises while the XYL is sleeping. She puts up with enough.

I'm not into the VHF/UHF stuff, but the same guy gave me a big 2m yagi and a big 70cm yagi. I could see setting up on a clear spot somewhere and giving it a try. I know the 2m needs some work after it had a disagreement with a low hanging branch. I've had the 70cm on the air, so I know it works.

Back
Top Bottom