*UPDATE 5/29 162 days later I have my license!

One of two things is happening.
You have pissed them off and the PD has intentionally held it from you for the month of April.
Or, you will get your LTC this week as it is the beginning of the month when most process the batch that has been sitting on someone's desk for the last couple of weeks of April.

I just got mine in Wilbraham 40 days after fingerprints 53 days after application drop off
Wilbraham has always been quick I have renewed twice in town and both times it was a little over a month. In fact they are really helpful. When I renewed my LTC and Machine gun licence, the licencing office called to let me know my applications were submitted to the state and my receipts were emailed to me also he let me know I transposed a number on my renewel form for my machine gun license and he fixed the error for me before submitting. Now that is over and above helpful.

Six months is absolutely outrageous, given that a) this is a constitutionally protected civil right, b) you can't legally even buy or possess any firearms or ammunition (or "large capacity" mags, or ammo components) without a license in this state and c) other states with much lower taxes somehow get it done in a much shorter amount of time. My buddy in NC, a veteran (which takes longer now cause the VA has to send in records), got his NC CCW permit in less than 1.5 months. It should really take as long as it does to buy a gun...submit fingerprints, let the NICS check come back then print the card and hand it to you.

You ever shot before? I ask because a larger pistol is nice to learn on. A small CCW is a little unforgiving.
I’ve taken a couple classes but only with a .22. So I need a lot of practice. The reason u say is the reason I want a larger pistol for sure. But also want a small ccw.

Also, if you don’t have buddies that can let you try one of pretty much every type of gun there is, go to one of the indoor ranges that rent pretty much every type of gun there is. Try them all!! Some may surprise you, others will disappoint you.

Sometimes the gun that looked so cool in the display/in the advertisements ends up not being the most practical gun for your main usage scenario(s). You’ll eventually, honestly, have no idea how many guns you own….a few for every use scenario!

I certainly need to learn so much more about ammo. I don’t know anything about that. Have a friend that owns a gun store in mass so hopefully he can guide me

I certainly need to learn so much more about ammo. I don’t know anything about that. Have a friend that owns a gun store in mass so hopefully he can guide me
All you need to know about ammo is that you need it, and in massive quantities, and the price only goes up…

Ammo is certainly a PITA.

As a newb the first thing I figured out is it's obviously stocked by size, but caliber and metric sizes are mixed together (30cal and 9mm are usually together).

Sometimes rifle is separate from pistol, other times not.

Heavier bullets tend to be better than their light counterparts unless you're buying practice ammo. For rifles back of the bullet shape matters a lot, pistols less so, there's all sorts of acronyms for bullets, I found it helpful to read some reloading materials on bullets when I started.

You'll figure it out- ammo is a weird world.

Ammo is certainly a PITA.

As a newb the first thing I figured out is it's obviously stocked by size, but caliber and metric sizes are mixed together (30cal and 9mm are usually together).

Sometimes rifle is separate from pistol, other times not.

Heavier bullets tend to be better than their light counterparts unless you're buying practice ammo. For rifles back of the bullet shape matters a lot, pistols less so, there's all sorts of acronyms for bullets, I found it helpful to read some reloading materials on bullets when I started.

You'll figure it out- ammo is a weird world.
I need to find a good article me read. I assume the higher the grain he better?

Never listen to any gun store advice unless it’s from a few select “Mill” FFL’s.

The crap I’ve heard over the years…

ETA: congrats and welcome!

Back
Top Bottom