Mass. out-migration study. Everyone is leaving!

The roofing situation in FL is completely out of control.

One side is scamming insurance to high hell and the other side is billing a years income for a 1,400sq house's roof. I think my roof is somewhere in the $40,000-$50,000 range and that's straight up blatant highway robbery. 3 day job max including full rip. And I have a small roof footprint as I live in a 2 story which are rare here.

Jesus, that is more than I got quoted for standing seam metal with a full removal of shingles on a similar sized house, and that is from a reputable company with top quality metal.

Also, they'll run out of sweet-n-low. It's amusing to watch the elderly dump the entire container in their purses.

Yup. And if there is a buffet line make the fruck sure you are going the right way and DO NOT try to grab something out of sequence - I got shamed in front of a bunch of people who I didn't even know for not following protocols, and it was not like I was even cutting the line, a lady spoke "loudly" to me "that's not how you go through the line here".

From June to September you wake up in the morning here and it's 70 degrees and damp. The sun comes out and turns that into steam. By noon its 80 and it keeps getting hotter until 6 or 7pm. A lot of 100% humidity days. The microclimate in this region makes everything grow like you wouldn't believe.

One side is scamming insurance to high hell and the other side is billing a years income for a 1,400sq house's roof. I think my roof is somewhere in the $40,000-$50,000 range and that's straight up blatant highway robbery. 3 day job max including full rip. And I have a small roof footprint as I live in a 2 story which are rare here.

Lol you can buy a decent house on 2 acres for $50k here.

Yup. And if there is a buffet line make the fruck sure you are going the right way and DO NOT try to grab something out of sequence - I got shamed in front of a bunch of people who I didn't even know for not following protocols, and it was not like I was even cutting the line, a lady spoke "loudly" to me "that's not how you go through the line here".
Back in the early 2000s, I stopped at a Chinese buffet in Canton (Cobbs Corner) before heading to a meeting in Waltham, so I was an early bird there. Across from me was 4 people, senior citizens, and from their dress and suitcase sized pocketbooks, they had to be Floridians. One of the women loaded her plate, came back and took out a couple of plastic bags from her pocketbook and dumped the contents into the bag. It was hilarious to watch. It's not like she didn't also eat her share while she was there.

That is a total rip off. I thought that $19,000 for a roof replacement on our house in Texas was high, but it was right with two other bids. The company I used was actually a couple hundred higher, but the estimator spent an hour explaining every bit of what he was doing and why he was recommending particular items.

It came out great with one minor defect which he had a guy come right out and correct.

No snow here, but the wind, rain, and hail beat the crap out of roofs. A couple of neighbors had serious damage and one house down the street is having it's entire roof replaced. I imagine that cost more than we paid because it was an "emergency" repair.

We used to eat there all the time before a better place opened in Stoughton center.

At the end of COVID a friend ordered a to go meal from there and when she went to pick it up, the owner refused to let her in because she didn't have mask. He still required people to wear a mask to pick food up. So, she left without the food. The funny part was that when she ordered the same guy told her she could pay when she came to pick it up.

I hope the staff enjoyed their lunch. [rofl]

Back in the early 2000s, I stopped at a Chinese buffet in Canton (Cobbs Corner) before heading to a meeting in Waltham, so I was an early bird there. Across from me was 4 people, senior citizens, and from their dress and suitcase sized pocketbooks, they had to be Floridians. One of the women loaded her plate, came back and took out a couple of plastic bags from her pocketbook and dumped the contents into the bag. It was hilarious to watch. It's not like she didn't also eat her share while she was there.

We used to eat there all the time before a better place opened in Stoughton center.

At the end of COVID a friend ordered a to go meal from there and when she went to pick it up, the owner refused to let her in because she didn't have mask. He still required people to wear a mask to pick food up. So, she left without the food. The funny part was that when she ordered the same guy told her she could pay when she came to pick it up.

I hope the staff enjoyed their lunch. [rofl]
The old Roxie's location? We used to go there until they closed.

I would have said "no habla englais" and farted in her direction as I grabbed more food.

Should have gone Cagney on her with a grapefruit:

Link

It's frugging hot in Oct-April too. My mother-in-law is in Sarasota and we go down in the winters, I don't think I'd take a million dollars to live there for a year, too hot and too many people/traffic. And, of course, around Sarasota it's all snowbirds/elderly, around 4 they come out every day to go out to eat and plug up the parking lots everywhere. And the traffic on even the secondary highways in the middle of the day, never mind rush hour, is ridiculous. Not a place for a country bumpkin like me.
I can deal with Oct-April.....thats nice weather to me. Heat, well....it sucks, but so doesn't cold, snow and oil prices.

Traffic and snowbirds...not so much and this will be the toughest transition for me, and one I really am taking a kick in the jimmies for her.

There's a reason why we are renting......I moved my wife out to the woods of North Central 30 years ago.....I'm giving her a year or three of civilization, as this is a good work move for her and a serious bump in pay, and no state tax. I'm waiting to hear on a WFH from my current employer....and if I get it, its a big win for me too, as I get an automatic 5% state tax free raise, 2A freedom, and pretty much easy living for a while. Plus, i won't have to fight snowbirds on a commute. I can sit by the pool and hot tub and work.

But when all is said and done, we are taking profit from MA house, buying something in Carolinas and retiring to the country for sure......and it won't be in FL. Im only buying in FL is RE crashes to the point where it makes sense to buy instead of rent, and it would be and investment rental at the end of the day. But with high insurance, retarded costs for roofs, HOA's etc....that is very unlikely to happen.

Last edited:
Today is my last day living in Massachusetts. Was born and raised here, married and had a family here, and I can't wait to get the F out!!!!!!!!!!!! My wife and I are very blessed to have designed and built our "forever" home in the hills of central NH. One of my adult kids already moved out of MA and the other is 50/50. This state has changed so radically the air itself is suffocating. I know NH could turn total commie but where I will be living nobody gives a damn what you do as long as you don't interfere with them. Neighbors I have met are all pro 2A and one has a very nice backyard range. If you are cruising up route 16 through the Wakefield/Ossipee/Tamworth area, drop me a PM and you're welcome to stop in and say "hi" and if you're not too weird I'll offer you a beer 😁. This was my dogs first morning walk on our "street" last weekend. She loved it!
2024-05-25_07-13-18_188.jpg

I can deal with Oct-April.....thats nice weather to me. Heat, well....it sucks, but so doesn't cold, snow and oil prices.

Traffic and snowbirds...not so much and this will be the toughest transition for me, and one I really am taking a kick in the jimmies for her.

There's a reason why we are renting......I moved my wife out to the woods of North Central 30 years ago.....I'm giving her a year or three of civilization, as this is a good work move for her and a serious bump in pay, and no state tax. I'm waiting to hear on a WFH from my current employer....and if I get it, its a big win for me too, as I get an automatic 5% state tax free raise, 2A freedom, and pretty much easy living for a while. Plus, i won't have to fight snowbirds on a commute. I can sit by the pool and hot tub and work.

But when all is said and done, we are taking profit from MA house, buying something in Carolinas and retiring to the country for sure......and it won't be in FL. Im only buying in FL is RE crashes to the point where it makes sense to buy instead of rent, and it would be and investment rental at the end of the day. But with high insurance, retarded costs for roofs, HOA's etc....that is very unlikely to happen.

Yeah, I'm not a hot weather, pool, hot tub guy, I would be bored after an hour, hope you enjoy it. I used to work from home when I worked for myself for a few years, I won't do it again unless my work from home is cutting lumber on my sawmill, haying, etc. (which is my plan for retirement, fake farmer losing money, lol, and traveling), if I'm working (for a living) I prefer to go to work and have human interaction, but that's me after doing both.

That would have been an instant GFY! You ain’t the boss of me.

Yeah, I'm not a hot weather, pool, hot tub guy, I would be bored after an hour, hope you enjoy it. I used to work from home when I worked for myself for a few years, I won't do it again unless my work from home is cutting lumber on my sawmill, haying, etc. (which is my plan for retirement, fake farmer losing money, lol, and traveling), if I'm working (for a living) I prefer to go to work and have human interaction, but that's me after doing both.
Don't mind the leisure.....but certainly not used to it.....that's vacation for me. For my time there.....fishing, shooting and hog hunting....hopefully I can find a hunting club or situation with some land I can escape to. Ive found a decent range/shooting club with a bunch of land already. I might find a lease I can run hunt on and run a side by side. I will need to do something outdoors for sure. Wife is already looking at stuff for me to do because me getting bored was the biggest thing that scared her about the move.

That said....we;ve focused on kids for most of our married life......will be nice to have absolutely nothing to do on weekends, and just poke around FL for a while doing some road trips.

I don't want to own a boat really....don't have a lot of interest in that, but if I get bored....might do that.

If for some reason I semi retire and have real time on my hands.....I'll be up in SC buying land and building a house.

Already told the wife....plan on not seeing me for weeks at a time, if the WFH thing falls thru.....I'll be up with my daughter and finding land in the country up there and starting a house.

And of course....I'll be up here too dealing with my parents house BS and my MIL house BS. I simply told both of them.....make a list for when I come back up, Im sure I'll be fixing shit. Honestly, Im not sure if they'll miss me or just the fact that they won't have an on call maintenance man anymore [rofl] .

Last edited:
Today is my last day living in Massachusetts. Was born and raised here, married and had a family here, and I can't wait to get the F out!!!!!!!!!!!! My wife and I are very blessed to have designed and built our "forever" home in the hills of central NH. One of my adult kids already moved out of MA and the other is 50/50. This state has changed so radically the air itself is suffocating. I know NH could turn total commie but where I will be living nobody gives a damn what you do as long as you don't interfere with them. Neighbors I have met are all pro 2A and one has a very nice backyard range. If you are cruising up route 16 through the Wakefield/Ossipee/Tamworth area, drop me a PM and you're welcome to stop in and say "hi" and if you're not too weird I'll offer you a beer 😁. This was my dogs first morning walk on our "street" last weekend. She loved it!
View attachment 884608

Careful, @garandman might get upset. 😊 Enjoy!

Today is my last day living in Massachusetts. Was born and raised here, married and had a family here, and I can't wait to get the F out!!!!!!!!!!!!
Congrats!

If you are cruising up route 16 through the Wakefield/Ossipee/Tamworth area, drop me a PM and you're welcome to stop in and say "hi" and if you're not too weird I'll offer you a beer 😁.

Good luck finding someone that's not weird on this forum! Myself included!

My wife and I drive somewhere in Texas every weekend. Day trips mostly so far, but we planning an overnight trip to Carthage, TX. Carthage is the home of the Tex Ritter Museum and Texas Country Music Hall of Fame. Tex was the father of John Ritter, the actor for reference.

There's a lot to see in Texas, so we'll have a lot of opportunity to explore.

Don't mind the leisure.....but certainly not used to it.....that's vacation for me. For my time there.....fishing, shooting and hog hunting....hopefully I can find a hunting club or situation with some land I can escape to. Ive found a decent range/shooting club with a bunch of land already. I might find a lease I can run hunt on and run a side by side. I will need to do something outdoors for sure. Wife is already looking at stuff for me to do because me getting bored was the biggest thing that scared her about the move.

That said....we;ve focused on kids for most of our married life......will be nice to have absolutely nothing to do on weekends, and just poke around FL for a while doing some road trips.

I don't want to own a boat really....don't have a lot of interest in that, but if I get bored....might do that.

If for some reason I semi retire and have real time on my hands.....I'll be up in SC buying land and building a house.

Already told the wife....plan on not seeing me for weeks at a time, if the WFH thing falls thru.....I'll be up with my daughter and finding land in the country up there and starting a house.

And of course....I'll be up here too dealing with my parents house BS and my MIL house BS. I simply told both of them.....make a list for when I come back up, Im sure I'll be fixing shit. Honestly, Im not sure if they'll miss me or just the fact that they won't have an on call maintenance man anymore [rofl] .

Sounds like you'll keep busy.

If he's a true believer, some might call getting upset hypocritical when he has a second house in NH to escape to.......
Yeah but when I opened an office in NH and hired 20 people, you didn’t have much to say….80% of our business was in MA, did it so people could live where they wanted.

Careful, @garandman might get upset. 😊 Enjoy!
You are confused again.

Want as many people to move out of Boston as possible and every commuter to get a job elsewhere. Sports fans and tourists? Manchester NH is lovely this time of year.

Because Boston with 100,000 fewer people, less than 10 million tourists and no commuters would be absolutely awesome.

While on the high horse, ban all power boats except commercial and fishing vessels from Boston Harbor. Allow motorcycle filtering and lane splitting.

But, alas, people have the right to move wherever they want, whenever they want.

IMG_3757.jpeg

Last edited:
Yeah but when I opened an office in NH and hired 20 people, you didn’t have much to say….80% of our business was in MA, did it so people could live where they wanted.
Didn't know you opened an office in NH......definately give you cred for that.

However, not sure how this helps you point of people staying in MA and fighting.....as doing that is even putting more of your skin in the game out of state.

I agree with your point that Boston sucks because of all the people and crowding for sure......why i never went there, and never fly out of there anymore either.

Last edited:
FWIW, Today NH legislature passed HB1186: Yet one more reason for gun owners to move north and purchase up here!!!

STATE OF NEW HAMPSHIRE
In the Year of Our Lord Two Thousand Twenty Four

AN ACT relative to firearm purchaser's privacy.
Be it Enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives in General Court convened:

1 Short Title. This act may be known and cited to as the Firearm Purchaser's Privacy Act.

2 New Chapter; Firearm Purchaser's Privacy. Amend RSA by inserting after chapter 159-E the following new chapter:

CHAPTER 159-F

FIREARM PURCHASER'S PRIVACY

159-F:1 Definitions.

In this chapter:

I. "Electronic payment transaction" means a transaction in which a person uses a payment card or other payment code, or device issued or approved through a payment card network to debit a deposit account or use a line of credit, whether authorization is based on a signature, personal identification number, or other means.

II. "Firearms code" means the merchant category code established by the International Organization for Standardization for firearms retailers.

III. "Firearms retailer" means any person or entity physically located in this state engaged in the lawful sale of firearms, ammunition for use in firearms, or firearms accessories.

IV. "Payment card" means a credit card, debit card, check card, or other card that is issued to an authorized user to purchase or obtain goods, services, money, or any other thing of value.

V. "Payment card acquirer" means a financial institution that establishes a relationship with a merchant for the purpose of accepting payment card transactions.

VI. "Payment card issuer" means a lender, including a financial institution, or a merchant that receives applications and issues payment cards to individuals.

VII. "Payment card network" means an entity that directly or through a licensed member, processor, or agent provides the proprietary services, infrastructure, and software that route information and data to conduct debit card or credit card transaction authorization, clearance, and settlement, and that an entity uses in order to accept as a form of payment a brand of debit card, credit card, or other device that may be used to carry out debit or credit transactions.

159-F:2 Firearm Code Usage Prohibited.

I. A payment card acquirer may not assign to a merchant and a payment card network may not require or permit a merchant to use a firearms code.

II. For the purposes of the sale of firearms, ammunition for use in firearms, and firearms accessories, a firearms retailer may not provide a firearms code to a payment card acquirer, payment card issuer, or payment card network and may only use or be assigned a merchant category code for general merchandise retailers or sporting goods retailers.

159-F:3 Authority of Attorney General to Investigate Violations.

I. If the attorney general has reasonable cause to believe that a person or entity has intentionally engaged in, is engaging in, or is about to engage in a violation of this chapter, the attorney general shall have the power to examine witnesses and documents for the purpose of enforcing the provisions of this chapter.

II. If the attorney general believes a person under investigation for violation of the provisions of this chapter may have information or be in possession, custody or control of any document or other tangible object relevant to the investigation, before the institution of any court proceedings, the attorney general may serve upon the person a written demand in the form of a subpoena or subpoena duces tecum to appear and be examined under oath and to produce the documents or objects for inspection and copying.

159-F:4 Notice and Opportunity to Cure.

I. Upon a finding by the attorney general that there has been a violation of this chapter, the attorney general shall give written notice to the person or entity, identifying the specific provisions of this chapter that are or were being violated.

II. The attorney general may not bring an action against the person or entity if the person or entity:

(a) Cures the identified violation within 30 days; and

(b) Provides the attorney general a written statement affirming that the person or entity has:

(1) Cured the alleged violation;

(2) Provided supporting documentation to show how the violation was cured; and

(3) Made changes to internal policies to prevent the recurrence of any similar violation in the future.

159-F:5 Enforcement; Civil Penalty; Injunction.

I. The attorney general has exclusive authority to enforce this chapter.

II. If a person or entity is found to be intentionally in violation of this chapter and fails to cure the violation in accordance with RSA 159-F:4, or is found to have intentionally breached a written statement provided to the attorney general under that section, the attorney general may seek an injunction against any such person or entity alleged to be in violation of this chapter in a court of competent jurisdiction. The court has authority to issue such an injunction, in addition to any other relief as the court may consider appropriate.

III. The attorney general may bring an action to:

(a) Recover a civil penalty under this section; and

(b) Restrain or enjoin a person or entity from violating this chapter.

IV. The attorney general may recover reasonable attorney's fees and other reasonable expenses incurred in investigating and bringing an action under this section.

3 Effective Date. This act shall take effect January 1, 2025.

Back
Top Bottom