.380 was made great again (.380 Intercepter Taofledermaus)

Yes, yes it does

The term adequate does not involve comparison to something else.

Adequate: Sufficient to satisfy a requirement or meet a need. synonym: sufficient.

380 can meet objective terminal ballistic standards derived from analysis of actual recipients of bullets.

The only trick with 380 is that you need to be more careful with bullet/load selection.

If you want to say 380 is inadequate for a duty/military pistol, I’d agree. But EDC is a completely different CONOPS.

Yes. Muzzle energy of 380 is half that of 9mm

Oh, so you’re one of those people who think that muzzle energy is an important factor in the lethality of pistol cartridges. … got it.

Edit: Also, we already went over this. “Adequate” has nothing to do with a comparison to anything cartridge. It is determined against requirements.

So, what muzzle energy is required for a cartridge to be adequate for self defense, and how did you arrive at that threshold requirement?

Reading material:

Last edited:
Weird insult, but okay.

View attachment 878516
View attachment 878517
View attachment 878518

I’d still be perfectly comfortable carrying a pocket 380. And likewise I would be comfortable recommending a locking block 380 for someone with less grip strength.

Of course 9mm has advantages. But that doesn’t make 380 inadequate.
The beauty of .380's is pocket carry (although I have pocket-carried a Glock 17 and a Sig P365 Macro. There's a reason I'm fussy about what clothes I buy.). Putting a red dot on anything kind of defeats the purpose of compact.

My BG380 just gay enough to fit easily into my cycling jersey pocket.
Only real threats are dogs and road ragers. Neither one likes being the recipient of a wireless hole punching.

If I had a 9mm the same size, I'd carry it. But the Bodyguard does a lot better than a water bottle, hand pump or plastic tire lever.

.45 has less ME than .40, but you don't see people saying .45 isn't adequate in comparison. Probably the most important factor with the smaller calibers after reliability is penetration and with pretty much all of them you will find an ammo that is capable of delivering the minimum for effective penetration.

I am far more knowledgeable in the subject than you

Please elaborate on why muzzle energy is such an important measure of performance for handgun cartridges.

And what is the threshold for muzzle energy in order to effectively stop a threat?

Saami pressure
380: 25k
9mm: 35k

(35-25)/25 = 40% more energy capacity available

That 40% won't make a difference in most self defense situations but when it does you need it.
However 380 in your hand is always better than nothing.

Saami pressure
380: 25k
9mm: 35k

(35-25)/25 = 40% more energy capacity available

That 40% won't make a difference in most self defense situations but when it does you need it.
However 380 in your hand is always better than nothing.
I thought SAAMI for .380 is 21,500? 9mm is right. 25k might be +p? I've heard american company loadings for .380 are around 16 to 18k PSI, and so are considerably weaker than what they can be.

I’d still be perfectly comfortable carrying a pocket 380. And likewise I would be comfortable recommending a locking block 380 for someone with less grip strength.

Of course 9mm has advantages. But that doesn’t make 380 inadequate.

th (1).jpeg

OK, what is this "Taofledermaus" bull crap? Is it some German thing? All I think of is Nostradamus.

Back
Top Bottom